Wednesday, April 1, 2009

March of the Penguins

When I was back in Auckland staying at Andrew's house I met a gentleman named Ty Webb who is the Assistant Director of Station Operations for the New Zealand portion of the McMurdo Research Station in Antarctica. Mr. Webb is a friend of Andrew's and he was in town for a few days and dropped by for dinner one night. I made an offhand comment to him about how much I'd love to go to Antarctica and would be willing to do anything, including cleaning toilets, if it meant I could go to McMurdo.

Well, I must have made an impression on Mr. Webb during dinner because two days ago he called Andrew looking for my number. It seems one of the guys they had lined up to be a cook in the research station's cafeteria for the winter season backed out of the deal. Andrew gave Mr. Webb my number and he called me yesterday offering me the open cook position.

The job lasts for three months, and would be during the antarctic winter, so that means I wouldn't see the sun the entire time I'd be there. As much as I love New Zealand and my job at the vineyard, I decided I'd have to be a fool to pass up on this once in a lifetime opportunity. So I accepted. I leave on May 1st, exactly one month from today's date.

Next stop: Antarctica. I find I'm so excited I can barely sit still or keep a thought in my head.

Cheers!

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I get the feeling you will still be using sun screen come May 1st.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you "trying" to give me a heart attack?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. april fools, feel for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how Ty Webb is also Chevy Chase's name in Caddyshack. Bravo, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seem to associate with "Ty Webb" alot....Oooohhhhh Boise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa!!! do they supply the clothes??

    ReplyDelete