Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Kiwi speak

I've done a couple of posts now on the subtle differences between the American and Kiwi versions of our common mother tongue. Today, I'm going to talk briefly about one particular similarity. There's one word used quite extensively here that I'm already well acquainted with. That being "reckon." And, I reckon anyone with family from west Texas is equally as familiar with it. It's one of my favorite words, and I can't help but smile when I hear it--especially when it's spoken by an older gentleman. Because, you see, of every word in the English language, there is no other that I associate with my late Granddaddy more than reckon. I reckon he'd have gotten on famously with the kindly Kiwis.

Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. and might I recommend Fates Worse Than Death by Vonnegut? I might.
    I was at Mom's in OK last week and had occasion to read Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions (not his best), finally finished Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius & picked up Steinbeck's The Pearl which I hadn't read since Chandler's English class. I really enjoyed it.

    Good reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with this post one hundred percent.

    ReplyDelete